While in the past these efforts focused on protocols to prevent the spread of antibiotic resistant bacterium, the COVID-19 outbreak throws a light on another, potentially more difficult challenge: How to treat affected patients while preventing the virus – to which no human has a natural immunity – from overwhelming the hospital, its staff, patients and their families.
This eBook outlines cost effective, quick-to-deploy solutions developed by Microshare, Inc. and our partners and in use in hospitals and other facilities in the United States and UK. These IoT data solutions have demonstrated an ability to curtail infection risk through the deployment of sensors that provide a predictive view into cleaning needs, occupancy patterns, air and water quality and more.
Since well before the current crisis, Microshare has deployed technology to measure occupancy, track mobile assets, and the density of people in specific areas of large healthcare and commercial facilities.
- Occupancy Solutions and Feedback Monitors in washrooms and common areas reduce infection risk and put staff, patients and visitors at ease.
- Bed Occupancy Monitors in hospital wards mitigate bed infection rates and bed allocation delays. This has proven invaluable in tracking bed cleaning and getting patients settled quickly.
- Asset Tracking pinpoints key mobile equipment like wheelchairs or beds, improves patient care and frees nursing, maintenance and other staff to do the vital jobs they are paid to perform.
- Air Quality and Water Quality monitored 24/7 retard the spread of bacteria and reduce the risk of Legionella (Legionnaire’s Disease) outbreaks.
For over a year, data from an installation at a large hospital in northern England has provided facilities managers and hospital executives with vital data on the performance of their facility and the wellness of the patients, staff and visitors within. This data enabled hospital administrators, facilities managers and building owners to apportion staff as efficiently as possible, improving patient care and staff morale.
As everyone understands today, there will be no going back to business as usual when the worst of the COVID-19 crisis abates. At Microshare, we have been focused on lowering infection risk, building resilience and sustainability and optimizing efficiency in hospitals for years.
Whether the infection originates in washroom, cafeteria or a hospital ward, whether it is bacteriological or a virus, increasing staff efficiency in cleaning, detecting and responding to potential problems is our goal.
Measuring occupancy, utilisation, traffic patterns and density within your facility unlocks vital insights.
- Understand where scarce resources can be reallocated.
- Create dialogue with tenants and staff to increase responsiveness and satisfaction.
- See patterns and usage data that allow you to address problems before they happen.
Microshare views the current environment as one that requires action to safeguard the lives of patients, staff and the reputation of great institutions. Leveraging technology now will pay dividends for years to come as the data produced helps limit risks and liabilities in hospitals, clinics, office buildings and facilities of all kind, as well as reassuring occupants that no effort has been spared to ensure they are as healthy, safe, efficient and sustainable as possible.